Browse "Arts & Culture"

Article

Art Gallery of Hamilton

Art Gallery of Hamilton was founded in 1914 on the occasion of a bequest of paintings from the Estate of William Blair Bruce (1859-1906), and developed through the efforts of two former Directors, T.R. MacDonald (1947-1973) and Glen Cumming (1973-1989).

Article

Art Gallery of Windsor

The Art Gallery of Windsor began in 1943 in Willistead Manor, where exhibitions borrowed from other galleries and organizations could be displayed. Incorporated in 1944, the gallery soon began building its own collection and presenting exhibitions and education programs.

Article

Dalhousie Art Gallery

The Dalhousie Art Galleryis located in the Arts Centre of Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Established in 1953 in a one-room area of the Arts and Administration Building on the university campus, it is the oldest public art gallery in Halifax.

Article

Beaverbrook Art Gallery

Major Atlantic Canadian artists represented in the permanent collection include Mary Pratt and Christopher Pratt, Molly Lamb Bobak and Bruno Bobak, Tom Forrestall, Alex Colville, Avery Shaw, Fred Ross, Jack Humphrey and Miller Brittain.

Article

Muttart Public Art Gallery

The Muttart Public Art Gallery, a not-for-profit institution established in 1977, is situated on the second floor of CALGARY'S Memorial Park Library occupying space that was renovated with funds provided by the Muttart Foundation.

Article

Art Gallery of Ontario

The Art Gallery of Ontario, founded in 1900 as the Art Museum of Toronto, became the Art Gallery of Toronto in 1919 and in 1966 - reflecting an expanded role in the province - the Art Gallery of Ontario.

Article

Nickle Arts Museum

Nickle Arts Museum started with a philanthropic gesture. In 1970, on the occasion of his 81st birthday, Alberta oil pioneer Samuel C. Nickle gave the University of Calgary $1 million which the Alberta government matched.

Article

Music at Place des Arts

Place des Arts (PDA). Montreal performing arts complex. One of Canada's largest multidisciplinary arts complexes, it grew from three halls in the 1960s, to four in the 1970s, and five in the 1990s.