Browse "Towns"

Article

Sainte-Adèle

In the mid-1840s, as conditions worsened in the seigneuries, settlers came to the area called Les Cantons du nord, later, Les Pays-d'en-haut. The coming of the railway at the turn of the century assisted colonization and the establishment of the tourist industry in the area.

Article

Sainte-Agathe-des-Monts

In the 19th century, Sainte-Agathe had only a few sawmills, but the construction of the Montreal and Occidental Railway in 1892 (replaced by the CPR in 1900) encouraged tourism and the development of the hotels that have become the region's economic mainstay.

Article

Ajax

Ajax, Ontario, incorporated as a town in 1955, population 119,677 (2016 c), 109 600 (2011 c). The Town of Ajax is located 13 km from the eastern boundary of Toronto on the north shore of Lake Ontario. Ajax became part of the Regional Municipality of Durham in October 1973 and in January 1974 expanded to include the village of Pickering (incorporated 1953) and part of Pickering Township.

Article

St Alban's

St. Alban's, NL, incorporated as a town in 1964, population 1233 (2011c), 1278 (2006c). The Town of St Alban's is located at the mouth of Bay D'Espoir on the south coast of Newfoundland.

Article

Alberton

By 1833 Alberton was known as "Stump Town" because hundreds of stumps were left after the clearing of a forest. Owing to its crossroads location, Alberton was later known as the "Cross." On 27 June 1862, the community was renamed in honour of Albert Edward, the Prince of Wales.

Article

Cochrane (Alta)

Cochrane, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 17 580 (2011c), 13 760 (2006c). The Town of Cochrane is located 35 km northwest of Calgary, on the BOW RIVER. It is named for Senator Matthew H.

Article

Peace River (Alta)

Peace River, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 6744 (2011c), 6315 (2006c). The Town of Peace River is located near the confluence of the PEACE and Smoky rivers.

Article

Altona

The town site was established in 1895 on a Canadian Pacific Railway spur near the agricultural village of Altona, settled in 1880 as part of a reserve W of the Red River for Mennonites from Russia.

Article

Amherst

Amherst, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 9717 (2011c), 9505 (2006c). The Town of Amherst is located near the border with New Brunswick, 15 km east of Sackville, NB.

Article

Amherstburg

Amherstburg, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1878, population 21 556 (2011c), 21 748 (2006c). The Town of Amherstburg is located on Detroit River near Lake Erie.

Article

Amos

Founded in 1914, Amos became in the mid-1920s the most important town in Abitibi and the county town of this newly settled region of Québec. It took its name from Alice Amos, the wife of Sir Lomer Gouin, premier of Québec.

Article

Amqui

Amqui's municipal history is more complex than it seems. In 1907, the village centre had split away from the parish municipality of Saint-Benoît-Joseph-Labre. It adopted the name Amqui in 1948 and was given town status in 1961.

Article

Ancaster

Ancaster, Ont, Urban Community within the city of Hamilton. Ancaster was incorporated as a town in 1974, but in 2001 it was merged into the new city of Hamilton

Article

Saint Andrews (NB)

Saint Andrews, NB, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 1889 (2011c), 1798 (2006c). The Town of Saint Andrews is located at the mouth of the ST CROIX RIVER in the southwest corner of New Brunswick.

Article

Masson-Angers

Masson-Angers is both industrial and residential in character. The main employer is the James MacLaren Industries pulp and paper mill, dating back to 1932. Hundreds of residents also work as civil servants for the federal government, commuting daily to and from the Ottawa-Hull area.

Article

Annapolis Royal

Annapolis Royal, NS, incorporated as a town in 1893, population 481 (2011c), 444 (2006c). The Town of Annapolis Royal is located on the south side of the Annapolis River, about 10 km from its mouth near the western shore of Nova Scotia.

Article

Sainte-Anne-des-Monts

In 1863 the area became known as the Parish of Sainte-Anne-des-Monts. The first settlers named it in memory of their native parish of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière in France. In 1968, it became the city of Sainte-Anne-des-Monts.