Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Alma

Born of the lumber industry in 1860, Alma quickly became a prosperous agricultural parish. It burst into the industrial age in 1923 with the start of construction of the Isle-Maligne hydro station on the Grande Décharge.

Article

Almonte

Almonte, Ont, urban area, population 4752 (2011c), 4538 (2006c). Almonte is located on the Mississippi River, 48 km southwest of Ottawa.

Article

Cochrane (Alta)

Cochrane, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 17 580 (2011c), 13 760 (2006c). The Town of Cochrane is located 35 km northwest of Calgary, on the BOW RIVER. It is named for Senator Matthew H.

Article

Peace River (Alta)

Peace River, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1919, population 6744 (2011c), 6315 (2006c). The Town of Peace River is located near the confluence of the PEACE and Smoky rivers.

Article

Crowsnest Pass (Alta)

Crowsnest Pass, Alta, incorporated as a municipality in 2008, population 5565 (2011c), 6261 (2006c). The Municipality of Crowsnest Pass is located 269 km southwest of Calgary in the historic CROWSNEST PASS through the Rocky Mountains. The municipality takes its name from a prominent nearby mountain.

Article

Altona

The town site was established in 1895 on a Canadian Pacific Railway spur near the agricultural village of Altona, settled in 1880 as part of a reserve W of the Red River for Mennonites from Russia.

Article

Amherst

Amherst, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 9717 (2011c), 9505 (2006c). The Town of Amherst is located near the border with New Brunswick, 15 km east of Sackville, NB.

Article

Amherstburg

Amherstburg, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1878, population 21 556 (2011c), 21 748 (2006c). The Town of Amherstburg is located on Detroit River near Lake Erie.

Article

Amos

Founded in 1914, Amos became in the mid-1920s the most important town in Abitibi and the county town of this newly settled region of Québec. It took its name from Alice Amos, the wife of Sir Lomer Gouin, premier of Québec.

Article

Amqui

Amqui's municipal history is more complex than it seems. In 1907, the village centre had split away from the parish municipality of Saint-Benoît-Joseph-Labre. It adopted the name Amqui in 1948 and was given town status in 1961.

Article

Ancaster

Ancaster, Ont, Urban Community within the city of Hamilton. Ancaster was incorporated as a town in 1974, but in 2001 it was merged into the new city of Hamilton

Article

St Andrews (Man)

St Andrews, Manitoba, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1880, population 11 875 (2011c), 11 359 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of St Andrews stretches from a boundary 8 km north of WINNIPEG to Winnipeg Beach and Netley Marsh at the southern tip of Lake Winnipeg.

Article

Saint Andrews (NB)

Saint Andrews, NB, incorporated as a town in 1903, population 1889 (2011c), 1798 (2006c). The Town of Saint Andrews is located at the mouth of the ST CROIX RIVER in the southwest corner of New Brunswick.

Article

Masson-Angers

Masson-Angers is both industrial and residential in character. The main employer is the James MacLaren Industries pulp and paper mill, dating back to 1932. Hundreds of residents also work as civil servants for the federal government, commuting daily to and from the Ottawa-Hull area.

Article

Anjou

First part of the parish municipality of Saint-Léonard-de-Port-Maurice from 1886 to 1916, it was set up as a separate municipality in 1916 and incorporated as a city 50 years later.

Article

Annapolis Royal

Annapolis Royal, NS, incorporated as a town in 1893, population 481 (2011c), 444 (2006c). The Town of Annapolis Royal is located on the south side of the Annapolis River, about 10 km from its mouth near the western shore of Nova Scotia.

Article

Sainte-Anne-des-Monts

In 1863 the area became known as the Parish of Sainte-Anne-des-Monts. The first settlers named it in memory of their native parish of Sainte-Anne-de-la-Pocatière in France. In 1968, it became the city of Sainte-Anne-des-Monts.