Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

St Anthony

St Anthony, NL, incorporated as a town in 1945, population 2418 (2011c), 2476 (2006c). The Town of St Anthony is located near the top of the Northern Peninsula.

Article

Antigonish

Antigonish, NS, incorporated as a town in 1889, population 4524 (2011c), 4236 (2006c). The Town of Antigonish is situated on a small plain just over a kilometre from Antigonish Harbour. Located midway between Halifax and Sydney.

Article

Anyox

Anyox, BC, was a town situated on Granby Bay, 60 km north of Prince Rupert. The Tsimshian word means "hidden water.

Article

Argentia

Argentia, NL, Unincorporated Place. Argentia is located on the west coast of the Avalon Peninsula of Newfoundland.

Article

Salmon Arm

Salmon Arm, BC, incorporated as a city in 2005, population 17 464 (2011c), 16 012 (2006c). The City of Salmon Arm is located at the head of the southwestern arm of Shuswap Lake, also called Salmon Arm, 110 km east of KAMLOOPS.

Article

Armstrong

Armstrong, BC, incorporated as a city in 1913, population 4815 (2011c), 4241 (2006c). The City of Armstrong is the business centre of a farm and forest economy of the Spallumcheen district. It is at the north end of the Okanagan Valley 23 km N of Vernon and 13 km S of Enderby.

Article

Arnprior

Arnprior, Ont, incorporated as a town in 1892, population 8114 (2011c), 7158 (2006c). The Town of Arnprior is located at the confluence of the Madawaska and Ottawa rivers, 56 km west of Ottawa.

Article

Arthabaska

The founder of Arthabaska, Charles Beauchesne, arrived in 1834 and was impressed by the size of the trees and quality of the soil. The first industries were potash and maple-sugar production.

Article

Arviat

Arviat, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1977, population 2318 (2011c), 2060 (2006c). The Hamlet of Arviat is located on the west coast of Hudson Bay and is the southern-most community of mainland Nunavut.

Article

Asbestos (Qué)

Asbestos, Qué, Town, pop 6819 (2006c), 6580 (2001c), inc 1937. Asbestos is located in the Lower Appalachian plateau 63 km north of Sherbrooke and 55 km southeast of Drummondville.

Article

Ashcroft

Ashcroft, BC, incorporated as a village in 1952, population 1628 (2011c), 1664 (2006c). The Village of Ashcroft is situated on a flat bench above the Thompson River in the dry belt of the interior of southern British Columbia, about 90 km west of Kamloops.

Article

Assiniboia

Assiniboia is a name derived from the Assiniboine, an Indigenous people. The name Assiniboia applied to two political units in the 19th century. The first was a district centred on the forks of the Red and Assiniboine rivers — which became the site of the Red River Resistance (1869–70) — forerunner to the province of Manitoba. The second was a provisional district of the ever-changing North-West Territories (1870–1905). Two political constituencies (one federal and one Manitoban), a rural municipality (in Manitoba), and a town (in Saskatchewan) have also been called Assiniboia.

Article

Assiniboia (Sask)

Assiniboia, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1913, population 2418 (2011c), 2305 (2006c). The Town of Assiniboia is located on the Canadian Pacific Railway line, 105 km south of Moose Jaw.

Article

Fort Assiniboine

Fort Assiniboine, Alta, Unincorporated Place. Fort Assiniboine is located at the confluence of the Freeman and Athabasca rivers, 150 km northwest of Edmonton. There may have been earlier posts in the area, but the first documented FUR TRADE site was Fort Assiniboine, established in 1823-24.

Article

Athabasca

Athabasca, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 2990 (2011c), 2580 (2006c). The Town of Athabasca is located on the Athabasca River, 150 km north of Edmonton. It was known until 1904 as Athabasca Landing.

Article

Atikokan

Atikokan, Ont, incorporated as a township in 1954, population 2787 (2011c), 3293 (2006c). The Township of Atikokan is located in northwestern Ontario on the Atikokan River, 220 km west of Thunder Bay.

Article

Atlin

Atlin, BC, Unincorporated Place, elevation 671 m. Atlin is a small community of about 400 residents situated on Atlin Lake in the lake district of the northwest corner of the province, 182 kilometres southeast of Whitehorse, Yukon.

Article

Pointe-au-Père

In 1663, the Jesuit priest Henri Nouvel landed on the south bank of the St Lawrence River and conducted the first mass. In 1696 this territory was the seigneurie de Lessard, granted to Pierre Lessard and Barbe Fortin, his wife.

Article

Port au Choix

Port au Choix, NL, incorporated as a town in 1966, population 839 (2011c), 893 (2006c). The Town of Port au Choix is located on the west side of the Northern Peninsula.

Article

Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures

The area was first settled in 1658, more than 20 years before the creation of the parish of Saint-Augustin-de-Desmaures. The name Saint-Augustin was supposedly given to the parish in honour of the governor of New France from 1663-1665, Augustin de Saffray de MÉZY.