Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Waterloo

The area was first settled by MENNONITES led by the Erb family from Pennsylvania in 1806 on what was known as the German Company Tract. In 1816 the area was elevated to township status and named Waterloo after Wellington's famous victory over Napoleon in 1815.

Article

Watrous

NORWEGIAN settlers arrived in the area at the beginning of the 20th century. The community that sprang up to service the area was originally called Mandel after their hometown in Norway.

Article

Wawa

The original economic activity was gold prospecting, but for most of the 20th century, iron-ore deposits were the source of major economic activity. The ALGOMA CENTRAL RAILWAY was built to transport ore from area mines to Algoma Steel in SAULT STE MARIE.

Article

Welland

In 1973 an improved bypass channel for the Welland Canal was constructed on the east side of the city. This was to be the first section of a fifth Welland Canal, but the remainder of the project is in abeyance because of a drop in canal traffic.

Article

Wembley

Wembley, Alta, incorporated as a village in 1928 and as a town in 1980, population 1383 (2011c), 1443 (2006c). The Town of Wembley is 23 km west of GRANDE PRAIRIE on Highway 43.

Article

Westlock

Westlock, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1916, population 4823 (2011c), 5008 (2006c). The Town of Westlock is located 80 km northwest of Edmonton.

Article

Westmount

Westmount's location on the slopes of Mont Royal attracted well-to-do residents, and it quickly became one of Canada's most fashionable communities. Long considered an English-speaking enclave in Montréal, it is now a bilingual community with a varied population.

Article

Westport

Westport, NS, incorporated as a village in 1946, population 234 (2011c), 249 (2006c). The Village of Westport is located at the southern tip of Digby Neck, on the eastern side of Brier Island.

Article

Westville

Westville, NS, incorporated as a town in 1894, population 3798 (2011c), 3805 (2006c). The Town of Westville is located near the Middle River, 8 km southwest of NEW GLASGOW.

Article

Wetaskiwin

Wetaskiwin, Alta, incorporated as a city in 1906, population 12 525 (2011c), 11 689 (2006c). The City of Wetaskiwin is one of Alberta’s oldest cities. It began (1891) as Siding 16 on the Calgary-Edmonton Railway and was a point of departure for early, predominantly Scandinavian homesteaders.

Article

Weyburn

In the 1950s the Weyburn oil field was discovered in the area and since then oil has played a very significant role in the city's economy. Agricultural production continues to be its dominant industry.

Article

Whatì

Whatì, NWT, established as community government in 2005, population 492 (2011c), 460 (2006c). The community of Whatì (earlier spelling Wha Ti) is located on Lac La Martre, 164 km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Whistler

Whistler, BC, incorporated as a resort municipality in 1975, population 9824 (2011c), 9248 (2006c). The Resort Municipality of Whistler is located about 100 km north of Vancouver near GARIBALDI PROVINCIAL PARK.

Article

Whitby

In Jan 1974 the County of Ontario was dissolved and Whitby became one of 8 area municipalities in the new Regional Municipality of Durham.

Article

Whitecourt

Whitecourt, Alta, incorporated as a town in 1971, population 9605 (2011c), 8971 (2006c). The Town of Whitecourt is located near the confluence of the McLeod and ATHABASCA rivers, 177 km northwest of Edmonton.

Article

Whitehorse

 Whitehorse, Yukon, incorporated as a city in 1950, population 25,085 (2016 c), 23,276 (2011 c). The City of Whitehorse, the capital of Yukon, is located about 87 km north of the British Columbia border. Communities like Whitehorse, which fall along the Alaska Highway, are often identified by where they sit on this stretch of road. With Dawson Creek, British Columbia at 0 km, Whitehorse is at kilometre 1,476. The city lies mainly on the western side of the Yukon River on a 600 m wide river plain backed by a steep escarpment with a plateau-like summit 60 m above. The Whitehorse landscape is dominated by Canyon Mountain (locally known as Grey Mountain) to the east, Haeckel Hill to the northwest and Golden Horn Mountain to the south. Nestled in a protected valley, Whitehorse enjoys a moderate climate for the North, with warm, dry summers. Long hours of summer daylight (almost 20 hours in June) offset a short growing season and dark winters.

Article

Wiarton

Wiarton, Ont, urban area, population 2291 (2011c), 2322 (2006c). Wiarton was a town (1894-1998) until it was merged into the new town of South Bruce Peninsula (incorporated 1999) along with the townships of Albemarle and Amabel

Article

Wilcox

Wilcox, Sask, incorporated as a village in 1907, population 339 (2011c), 222 (2006c). The Village of Wilcox is located 42 km south of REGINA and situated midway between MOOSE JAW and WEYBURN on the Soo Line Railway.

Article

Wilkie

Wilkie, Sask, incorporated as a town in 1911, population 1301 (2011c), 1222 (2006c). The Town of Wilkie is located in east-central Saskatchewan 160 km west of Saskatoon. Wilkie developed as a stopping place on the Medicine Hat

Article

Wilton

Wilton, Sask, incorporated as a rural municipality in 1909, population 1494 (2011c), 1473 (2006c). The Rural Municipality of Wilton is located just east of LLOYDMINSTER on the Saskatchewan-Alberta border.