Browse "Cities & Populated Places"

Article

Ucluelet (BC)

Ucluelet, BC, incorporated as a district municipality in 1997, population 1627 (2011c), 1487 (2006c). The District of Ucluelet is located on the west coast of Vancouver Island, 175 km northwest of Victoria, at the entrance to Barkley Sound.

Article

Bella Coola (BC)

Bella Coola, BC, Unincorporated Place, population 95 (2011c), 135 (2006c). Bella Coola is a small community situated on the north arm of Burke Channel, where Alexander Mackenzie first sighted the Pacific in 1793.

Article

Victoria (BC)

Victoria, BC, incorporated as a city in 1862, population 85,792 (2016c), 80,017 (2011c). The capital of British Columbia, the City of Victoria is situated on the southern tip of Vancouver Island, about 100 km south of Vancouver. Occupying a peninsular site, Victoria is bordered by the Juan de Fuca and Haro straits. In addition, the Olympic Mountains lie to the south, the San Juan Islands to the east, and the fjord-like Saanich Inlet and richly forested Malahat Ridge and Sooke Hills to the west. Greater Victoria lies within the Capital Regional District (CRD), a federation comprising the following incorporated areas: the cities of Victoria, Colwood and Langford; the towns of Sidney and View Royal; and the municipalities of Saanich, Oak Bay, Esquimalt, Central Saanich, North Saanich, Sooke, Metchosin and Highlands. The CRD also includes the electoral areas of Juan de Fuca, the Southern Gulf Islands and Saltspring Island.

Article

Qualicum Beach

Qualicum Beach, BC, incorporated as a town in 1983, population 8687 (2011c), 8502 (2006c). The Town of Qualicum Beach is located on the east coast of VANCOUVER ISLAND, 48 km north of NANAIMO. The name Qualicum is a Straits Salish (see SALISH, CENTRAL COAST) word meaning "where the dog salmon run.

Article

Wasaga Beach

Wasaga Beach, ON, incorporated as a town in 1974, population 20,675 (2016 census), 17,537 (2011 census). The Town of Wasaga Beach is located on the shores of Georgian Bay at the mouth of the Nottawasaga River, about 40 km northwest of Barrie. Wasaga Beach is the world's longest freshwater beach. The name was derived from the Nottawasaga River.

Article

Hall Beach

Hall Beach, Nunavut, incorporated as a hamlet in 1978, population 546 (2011c), 654 (2006c). The Hamlet of Hall Beach is located on the east shore of the MELVILLE PENINSULA.

Article

Beaconsfield

Beaconsfield is a reference to Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Count of Beaconsfield (1804-80), Queen Victoria's favourite prime minister.

Article

Beauceville

The history of the Beauceville area goes back to 1737 when the Seigneury Rigaud de Vaudreuil, or Saint-François-de-la-Nouvelle-Beauce, was granted to François-Pierre de Rigaud de Vaudreuil (1703-79). The name Nouvelle-Beauce refers to the Beauce Region of France, famous for its wheat production.

Article

Beaumont

Beaumont, Alberta, incorporated as a village in 1973 and as a town in 1980, population 13 284 (2011c), 8961 (2006c). The Town of Beaumont is located five km south of Edmonton. The name Beaumont refers to the hill upon which the town is built.

Article

Beauport

In 1634, Robert Giffard received the seigneury of Beauport from the Compagnie des cent associés. In 1698, 444 French colonists settled just east of Rivière Beauport, attracted by the flour mill and agricultural land.

Article

Lac-Beauport

In the early 1800s the territory was opened up to exploit the forest resources. By the early 1820s the area around Lac Beauport was known as Waterloo Settlement. The first settlers were of English origin. In 1853 the parish municipality of Saint-Dunstan-du-Lac-Beauport was created.

Article

Beausejour

After the railway was completed in 1887, and an influx of East Europeans and Scandinavians in the 1890s, the town consolidated its position as principal service and administrative centre for the surrounding agricultural district.

Article

Beaver Creek

Located just east of the Alaska-Yukon border, the settlement has a Canada Customs office, a landing strip, and service industries for travelers on the Alaska Highway. It is Canada's most westerly community.

Article

Beaverlodge

Beaverlodge, AB, incorporated as a village in 1929 and as a town in 1956, population 2365 (2011c), 2264 (2006c).

Article

Bedford

Bedford, NS, Urban Community, is situated at the head of Bedford Basin, in Halifax Regional Municipality.

Article

Behchokò

Behchokò, NT, established as community government in 2005, population 1926 (2011c), 1894 (2006c). First known as Rae-Edzo, Behchokò is located near the North Arm of Great Slave Lake, 106 km northwest of Yellowknife.

Article

Belledune

Belledune, NB, incorporated as a village in 1968, population 1548 (2011c), 1711 (2006c). The Village of Belledune was reincorporated in 1994 to include Jacquet River, Armstrong Brook, Archibald Settlement, Sunnyside, Becketville and Mitchell Settlement.

Article

Belleville

Belleville, ON, incorporated as a city in 1877, population 49 454 (2011c), 48 821 (2006c). The City of Belleville, the seat of Hastings County, is located on the Bay of Quinte, an arm of Lake Ontario about 180 km east of Toronto at the mouth of the Moira River.

Article

Beloeil

Beloeil was first opened to settlement in the first quarter of the 18th century. By 1754, all the available land had been granted.